A Friday fire that gutted Marvin Kuker’s mobile home west of Carroll was likely ignited by an electric furnace.
A Friday fire that gutted Marvin Kuker’s mobile home west of Carroll was likely ignited by an electric furnace.
December 9, 2013



A faulty electric furnace likely ignited a fire Friday in a mobile home just west of Carroll.

The blaze began about 11:45 a.m. in the 19700 block of 200th Street, where Marvin Kuker's home sits beside an old, unoccupied farm house.

Kuker escaped the mobile home without being injured, and some passerby county workers reported the fire, said Carroll Fire Chief Greg Schreck.

"The trailer is pretty much a total loss," Schreck said. "It's no longer habitable. Most of his belongings are gone."

Firefighters worked to extinguish the blaze for about three hours as smoke from the home billowed across the nearby farm fields on the gusty, cold day.

No one was injured, Schreck said.

On Saturday, another fire caused significant damage to a garage in the 100 block of North Walnut Street in Carroll. Its cause was likely some faulty electrical wire, Schreck said.

The fire was reported about 1:12 a.m. in the two-car garage that sits behind a house - owned by Joseph Brown - and is not connected to it, Schreck said. Firefighters worked to extinguish it for about an hour.

Again, no one was injured, but the fire damaged a motorcycle and tools.