Firefighters from the Carroll fire department prepare to enter the garage after a garage fire on Monday at 817 San Salvador Ave. Fire damage was seen around the garage and leading up to the front door to the right of the picture. (Photos by Mark Schafer)
Firefighters from the Carroll fire department prepare to enter the garage after a garage fire on Monday at 817 San Salvador Ave. Fire damage was seen around the garage and leading up to the front door to the right of the picture. (Photos by Mark Schafer)

May 7, 2019

A fast-moving Monday fire spread from a garage at 817 San Salvador Ave. to the attached house’s kitchen and living room and caused an estimated $200,000 damage, according to Carroll Fire Chief Greg Schreck.

At least one person was inside the house at the time but escaped without injury.

The fire was reported about 5:30 p.m.

“When we arrived on scene we had flames showing through the front of the garage,” Schreck said.

It took just 10 minutes to bring the fire under control, but it had spread quickly and led to a lot of fire, smoke and water damage.

It wasn’t immediately clear what ignited the fire.

“We’re certain the fire started in the garage, and it appears to be accidental,” Schreck said.