Faulty wires likely cause of bar fire
August 29, 2013
A fireman points a flashlight near the entrance of Red’s Place as crews fight and early morning fire Wednesday. The fire at the iconic bar was called in at 5:40 a.m. , and firemen from Breda, Arcadia, Lidderdale and Carroll responded to the call. While the exterior of the building showed few signs of the fire, the interior was destroyed.
State fire marshals determined Wednesday that electrical wires under the floor of Red's Place in Breda were the most-likely culprit of a fire that morning that decimated the well-known bar.
"They're not 100-percent, but they think it was wiring near the north end of the bar," said Paul Riedell, the assistant Breda fire chief.
A Breda man who lives near the bar reported the fire about 5:40 a.m. when he saw smoke coming from the back of Red's Place.
Riedell said the fire was relatively small for a building fire, likely because it burned most of the oxygen in the building and started to smoke heavily.
Firefighters broke out windows and cut a hole in the front of the building near its roof to extinguish the blaze, which smoldered for several hours after and reignited occasionally.
The heat and smoke damaged most everything inside the building beyond repair, bar owners Russ and Bruce Boes lamented on Wednesday. It's unclear yet whether they will rebuild.
Area residents went to Red's Wednesday to gawk and console. The bar has long been considered the town's foremost social gathering spot.
Riedell said the town's American Legion Hall has assumed that role in the wake of the fire.
A former high school classmate of Russ Boes told the Daily Times Herald today that she wants to solicit donations to help, but nothing has yet been set up.
Content © 2016 Daily Times Herald
Software © 1998-2016 1up! Software,
All Rights Reserved