April 19, 2013

A member of a prominent Carroll medical family completed the Boston Marathon Monday just minutes before two explosions rocked the finish line, his grandmother, Loretta Hansen of Carroll, said.

Blake Anneberg, 28, a computer industry professional in Boston, posted an official time of 3:47:33. He crossed the finish line at 2:35 p.m. EST, and made his way through the cool-down area, where he received a ceremonial medal and wrapped himself in a warming silver "space" blanket. The bombs detonated about 2:50 p.m. only moments after he left the deadly location to find his sisters at a nearby appointed meeting spot.

Anneberg is a son of Dr. Lee and Alice Anneberg of Denver, and grandson of Loretta Hansen of Carroll and the late Don Hansen of Glidden and the late Dr. Paul and Dorothy Anneberg of Carroll,

Anneberg grew up in Denver where his father, Lee, a Carroll High School alum, is a family practitioner. His mother, Alice, an alum of Glidden-Ralston High School, is active in philanthropy and formerly hosted "Colorado Weekly," a public television program.

Loretta Hansen said she was shopping in Carroll when the news of the bombings came across the radio. She pulled her car into the Kmart parking lot and called her family in Denver. Blake had made contact. He was OK, as were his two sisters, Lauren of Washington, D.C., and Christine of Hanover, N.H. Both were in Boston to support their brother in the marathon.

The family soon held a video conference via computer on Google Plus.

"We were just so thankful and relieved to know that he finished the race minutes before the blast occurred," Hansen said.

Three Kuemper Catholic High School alums, Julie Burcar of Gilbert, Ariz., Matt McDermott of Des Moines and Tammy Snyder of the Minneapolis, Minn., area, finished the Boston Marathon and escaped any harm in the terror attack.

Carroll resident Sonia Walsh's brother, Bill Dix of Orlando, Fla., completed the marathon before the bombs exploded.

About 23,000 runners entered the marathon. The explosions killed three people and wounded 176 at the finish line.